Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Some days you're the gator, some days you're the fish...

Today's photo was taken in March of 2007 along the La Chua Trail in Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park, Gainesville, Florida.

This gator had stationed itself below an old spillway that delivers water, and the occasional fish, to a sink. After missing several potential meals, he or she managed to catch this mudfish. Once firmly in its mouth, the gator swam over to the shore where I was shooting from so it could reposition the fish in its mouth, head first, for swallowing. I have a couple of rather gruesome shots of the aftermath of the meal I might post at a later date.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

You know they do it, but you never see them catch something. What a great shot! I'm glad I'm not the fish. It's good to see they are happy with fish though, it makes me feel more comfortable to know they have a food source other than me.